Women and men, or is it men and women? Either way the opposite sex can frustrate the hell out of one another. And yet we need one another– on so many levels.
In my fifty four years, here is what I have learned — men and women truly are from Mars and Venus. We are as far apart as one can possibly be in make up, the way we think, and how we communicate.
We fall in love with one another, get married, and have kids all while navigating a psychological mine field. I personally love the challenge. Who said life was meant to be simple?
So it is with some amusement that I am sharing with you an email my ex-wife sent me. It hits the nail on the head on how we communicate, but from a woman’s point of view. Men, understanding these words will help us navigate those relationship IED’s.
The title of the email was nine words women use. When I read it the first time I laughed so hard my sides hurt. There is so much truth in humor. And laughter is good for the soul.
Hope you find the following as priceless as I do. It makes me laugh each time I read it!
The Nine Words:
(1) Fine: This is the word women use to end an argument when they are right and you need to shut up.
(2) Five Minutes: If she is getting dresssed, this means a half an hour. Five minutes is only five minutes if you have just been given five more minutes to watch the game while helping out around the house.
(3) Nothing: This is the calm before the storm. This means something and you should be on your toes. Arguments that begin with nothing ususally end in fine!
(4) Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don’t do it!!
(5) Loud Sigh: This is actually a word, but a nonverbal statement often misunderstood by men. A loud sigh means she thinks you are an idiot and wonders why she is waisting her time standing here and arguing with you about nothing. (Refer back to point 3)
(6) That’s Okay: This is one of the most dangerous statements a woman can make to a man. That’s okay means she wants to think long and hard before deciding how and when you will pay for your mistake.
(7) Thanks: A woman is thanking you, do not question or faint. Just say you’re welcome. (I want to add a clause here.) This is true unless she says thanks a lot! That is pure sarcasm and she is not thanking you at all. Do not say your welcome. That will bring on ‘whatever.’
(8) Whatever: Is a woman’s way of saying F………You!
(9) Don’t worry about it, I got it. Another dangerous statement meaning that a woman has told a man to do several times but is now doing herself. This will later result in the man asking, What’s wrong. For the woman’s response, see point 3.
So men feel to share and let other guys learn how to proactively translate the words used by the woman in our lives. In fact, may be share it with your wives and girl friends too. We all can use a good laugh!